We can make an educational and informative contribution, helping people and Governments to better understand the risks of climate change, making them aware and seeking to provide support as regards both their mitigation and adaptation actions. We believe in the importance of innovation in this field and we are committed to investing in research. We participate in numerous initiatives and working groups on environmental issues connected with climate change.
In line with the commitments made when adhering to certain important international initiatives (Paris Pledge for Action, The Geneva Association - Climate Risk Statement, European Financial Services Round Table), we actively participate in work groups as well as national and international events pertaining to green finance, including the Italian National Dialogue on Sustainabile Development promoted by UNEP and the Italian Ministry of the Environment. We have organized significant institutional events, including the presentation of the Interim Report by the High-Level Group (European Commission) on sustainable finance in Italy.
In 2016, we took part in the project of the Italian National Dialogue on Sustainable Development, sponsored by UNEP and the Italian Ministry of Environment, for the preparation of the paper Financing the future on mitigation and adaptation to climate change through insurance and investment activities.
In addition, we joined the research and dissemination project named Disclosure, Measurement, Management and Mitigation of Climate Change Risk for Companies, promoted by the Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, which aims to stimulate a public debate, scientifically founded, on the risks associated with climate change for Italian companies.
We participate in leading international initiatives:
- the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD), voluntary climate-related financial risk disclosures which consider the physical, liability and transition risks associated with climate change. We publicly declared our support and we also participate in the UNEP FI Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI) working group on the implementation of the TCFD Recommendations by insurers.
- Paris Pledge for Action (2015), an initiative that provides an opportunity for the private sector to engage in the implementation of the Paris Agreement COP21.
- Climate Risk Statement of The Geneva Association (2014), the document with which the leaders of the insurance and reinsurance industry will assume a common set of commitments on the measures to be taken to address and mitigate climate change.
- CDP Climate Change Program (from 2010), it is the leading international database which contains data of the companies on the annual GHG emissions, and their approach to risks and opportunities of climate change. It is the main reference for investors who want to consider this issue.
- the European Financial Services (EFR) Statement (2015), in support of a strong will of the members to increase the focus on a reduction of risks related to CO2 emissions and to accompany consumers towards a future low-emissions and examine how the financial industry can support the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations.
- the Investor Leadership Network, an open and collaborative platform for leading investors interested in addressing sustainability and long-term growth, promoted as part of the G7 Investor Global Initiatives.