Generali Deutschland is the second insurance group in Germany in terms of total premium income.
Figures as at December 31, 2017, market share and ranking refer to 2016
Generali Deutschland is the second insurance group in Germany in terms of total premium income. Its market share is 5.5% in the P&C segment and 9.6% in the Life segment (also including the healthcare business), with leadership positions particularly in the unit-linked and protection and corporate pension plans business lines, and in the direct channel.
In 2017, after having successfully concluded an early strategic and organisational revision (with the Simpler Smarter for You programme) ahead of schedule, Generali sped up implementation of the strategic plan in Germany by starting up the second phase of the strategic programme (Simpler, Smarter for You to Lead) with the objective of fully taking advantage of the growth and value creation potential in terms of:
- maximising operational efficiency with the creation of the “One company” model that calls for consolidating employees in two main companies, creating three product factories serving all distribution channels and significant management and corporate synergies and rationalisation of the brands portfolio;
- maximising distribution power: with integration of the channel of Generali dedicated agents in the DVAG network (the largest insurance distribution network in the country) that will operate under a new exclusive agreement to distribute the Generali brand products with strengthening of the direct channel (CosmosDirekt) through significant investments in simplifying processes and extending to new forms of digital brokering and with focus of the broker channel on profitability and the digitalisation process (Dialog);
- minimising the interest rate risk through the decision to put Generali Leben in run-off, with improvement of Generali’s Economic Solvency Ratio and the release of resources supporting growth in the German market.
Key Events in Germany
MANAGER IN CHARGE
The Country Manager for Germany is Giovanni Liverani.
Main Group companies
Generali Versicherungen (www.generali.de)
- Company headquartered in Munich, resulting from the merger of Generali Versicherungen and Volksfürsorge
- One of the market leaders in corporate pensions and first company to successfully launch Generali Vitality products to the market
- Approx. 15,000 independent distribution partners (brokers).
- Focus on Life business (approx. 80% of total gross written premiums)
- Ranking number 3 in Life market
- One of the market leaders in Riester pensions and in Unit-Linked business
- Exclusive distribution agreement with Deutsche Vermögensberatung (DVAG), the biggest autonomous financial sales organization in Germany with more than 3,400 agencies.
- Focus on Life business (approx. 84% of the gross written premiums)
- Market leader in term Risk Life insurance
- The main direct insurance company in the German market, expanding online services and combining them with personal advice
Central Krankenversicherung (www.central.de)
- The company of Generali in Germany specialised in Health business
- One of the main private players in the German Health sector as for premium income, with more than 1.7 million clients
- The first Health insurance company to issue shares, in 1913
Advocard Rechtsschutzversicherung (www.advocard.de)
- One of the leading companies in the German Legal Protection market
- Products are sold through all Generali in Germany distribution channels
Dialog Lebensversicherungs-AG (www.dialog-leben.de)
- Company specialised in biometric risks (term life, professional disability, Unit-Linked pension products)
- Its products are sold by brokers
- Strong growth in the last years, thanks to the high level of expertise and to the excellent customer service
Deutsche Bausparkasse Badenia (www.badenia.de)
- One of the first private German "Bausparkassen" (homeloans banks/real estate saving companies) in terms of portfolio contract sum
- The company has more than 900,000 clients over the whole German territory, to whom it offers real estate financing
- It relies on an important distribution agreement with DVAG