In Germany, where Generali has been operating since 1837, the Group ranks second in terms of total premium income due to a 9.5% market share in the Life business (also including health business), in which it plays a leadership role in the unit-linked and protection lines, and to a 5.3% P&C share, distinguished by high premium profitability.
Figures as at December 31, 2018, market share and ranking refer to 2018
In 2018, after having successfully concluded a preliminary strategic and organisation revision (with the Simpler Smarter for You programme), Generali sped up implementation of the strategy in Germany by starting up the second phase of the strategic programme, called Simpler, Smarter for You to Lead. This phase is aimed at making full use of the growth potential and the competitive edges that were still unexpressed in order to create value in terms of:
- maximising operational efficiency with creation of the “One company” model that involves unifying employees in two main companies, creation of three product factories serving all distribution channels with considerable management and corporate synergies, and rationalisation of the brands portfolio, with significant strengthening of the Generali brand;
- maximising distribution power by integrating the channel of exclusive Generali agents in the DVAG network (the largest insurance distribution network in the country), which operates under a new exclusive distribution agreement for Generali brand products; the strengthening of its leadership in the direct channel (CosmosDirekt) through sizeable investments in the simplification of the processes and extension to new forms of digital intermediation and the focusing of the broker channel on improvement of profitability and on the digitalisation process (Dialog);
- minimising the interest rate risk during 2018, Generali started the sale of 89.9% of Generali Leben after agreeing on an industrial partnership with Viridium Gruppe for the profitable management of the Life portfolio having high guarantees.
During the year, the Group retained its positioning on the market in the product innovation area and in customer services thanks to the Smart Insurance programme, with the Generali Vitality programme extended to all of the distribution networks, the offer of products in telematics (Generali Mobility), domotics (Generali Domocity), and legal protection, and also thanks to digitalisation in health services and claims.
The Human Safety Net
Generali also successfully launched many initiatives in different cities as part of The Human Safety Net programme, which was also presented to the Office of the President of the German Republic during Berlin’s Bürgerfest held in September. The programme supports refugees and their start-ups by providing co-working space, training courses and access to a wide range of trade contacts.
Key Events in Germany
MANAGER IN CHARGE
The Country Manager for Germany is Giovanni Liverani.
Main Group companies
Generali Versicherungen (www.generali.de)
- Company headquartered in Munich, resulting from the merger of Generali Versicherungen and Volksfürsorge
- One of the market leaders in corporate pensions and first company to successfully launch Generali Vitality products to the market
- Approx. 15,000 independent distribution partners (brokers).
- Focus on Life business (approx. 80% of total gross written premiums)
- Ranking number 3 in Life market
- One of the market leaders in Riester pensions and in Unit-Linked business
- Exclusive distribution agreement with Deutsche Vermögensberatung (DVAG), the biggest autonomous financial sales organization in Germany with more than 3,400 agencies.
- Focus on Life business (approx. 84% of the gross written premiums)
- Market leader in term Risk Life insurance
- The main direct insurance company in the German market, expanding online services and combining them with personal advice
Central Krankenversicherung (www.central.de)
- The company of Generali in Germany specialised in Health business
- One of the main private players in the German Health sector as for premium income, with more than 1.7 million clients
- The first Health insurance company to issue shares, in 1913
Advocard Rechtsschutzversicherung (www.advocard.de)
- One of the leading companies in the German Legal Protection market
- Products are sold through all Generali in Germany distribution channels
Dialog Lebensversicherungs-AG (www.dialog-leben.de)
- Company specialised in biometric risks (term life, professional disability, Unit-Linked pension products)
- Its products are sold by brokers
- Strong growth in the last years, thanks to the high level of expertise and to the excellent customer service
Deutsche Bausparkasse Badenia (www.badenia.de)
- One of the first private German "Bausparkassen" (homeloans banks/real estate saving companies) in terms of portfolio contract sum
- The company has more than 900,000 clients over the whole German territory, to whom it offers real estate financing
- It relies on an important distribution agreement with DVAG