Commitment to the climate
The COP21 in Paris outlined the need for the active involvement of the private sector in order to respect global climate change commitments, particularly with regard to limiting the increase of the temperature and the transition towards alternative energies to coal and fossil fuels.
Our commitment lies in defining a strategy that is structured in the following pillars:
- Divesting: divestment from a number of companies regarded as critical for the high intensity of coal in their production cycle, a measure that also aims to send out a message to the market
- Engaging: dialogue with issuing companies in order to encourage their conversion to more efficient and less harmful production systems
- Investing: financing for companies in the renewable energies sector in order to directly support a low carbon economy.
The carbon footprint analysis for all of the Group’s financial assets together with the calculation of the CO2 emissions associated with every company in our portfolios represent the basis for our strategy.
We took part in the following working groups on green finance:
- Italian National Dialogue on Sustainable Development, sponsored by UNEP and the Italian Ministry of Environment, for the preparation of the paper Financing the future on mitigation and adaptation to climate change through insurance and investment activities.
- Disclosure, Measurement, Management and Mitigation of Climate Change Risk for Companies, a research and dissemination project promoted by the Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, which aims to stimulate a public debate, scientifically founded, on the risks associated with climate change for Italian companies.