Generali simplifies geographical structure into seven markets
15 October 2013 - 12:35
- EMEA and LatAm, newly created and join Italy, Germany, France, CEE and Asia
- EMEA region is headed by Giovanni Liverani, LatAm by Jaime Anchustegui
Trieste – Through the creation of two new regions – EMEA and LatAm – Generali re-defines its geographical structure based on seven markets, in line with the strategy to simplify the Group and its governance. The new setup aims to optimise the Group’s international operations and will enable greater coordination between local businesses and the Head Office.
This new structure will be composed of the business units of the three core markets – Italy, France and Germany – and four regional units: CEE and Asia, and the newly formed EMEA and LatAm. Each of the seven markets will report directly to the Group CEO, Mario Greco.
The new region to be called EMEA consists of 12 countries – Austria, Belgium, Dubai, Greece, Guernsey, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Tunisia and Turkey – and will be headed by Giovanni Liverani from November 1. The LatAm market with its six countries – Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala and Panama – will be headed by Jaime Anchustegui from January 2014.
Along with the seven markets, an international business unit is operating to manage the Global business lines (Corporate&Commercial, Europ Assistance and GEB).
The seven markets
- Italy. With premium income in 2012 of more than €20 billion, the Generali Group is the Italian market leader and is implementing a market re-launch through a re-organisation under which its brands will be reduced from 10 to 3. Operations are headed by Philippe Donnet.
- Germany. With premium income of €17.6 billion, Generali is Germany’s second insurance player. The Country Head for Germany is Dietmar Meister, CEO of Generali Deutschland Holding since 2007.
- France. With premiums totalling more than €13 billion, Generali is one of the leading insurance providers in France. As from 28 October, operations will be headed by Eric Lombard.
- EMEA. The region, premiums totalling more than €9 billion, consists of 12 countries – Austria, Belgium, Dubai, Greece, Guernsey, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Tunisia and Turkey. The region will be headed by Giovanni Liverani, who developed an extensive international management expertise within the Group in markets of primary relevance.
- CEE. With premiums of approx. €4 billion in 10 countries, through its holding GPH, the Group is one of the largest insurers in Central Eastern Europe. The region is headed by Luciano Cirinà, CEO of GPH since March 2013.
- LatAm. In this region, the Group operates in six countries and generates premiums for over €1.3 billion: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala and Panama. The unit will be headed by Jaime Anchustegui, CEO of Generali España since 2008. Mr Anchustegui has built up wide experience with the Group in South America.
- Asia. The Group operates in 8 markets with high growth potential and generates premiums for approx. €1 billion: China, Indonesia, India, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines and Japan. In China, Generali is one of the largest life insurers among joint ventures with foreign ownership. Sergio Di Caro heads the Asia region.