Commitment to the climate
The COP21 in Paris outlined the need for the active involvement of the private sector in order to respect global climate change commitments, particularly with regard to limiting the increase of the temperature and the transition towards alternative energies to coal and fossil fuels.
Our commitment lies in defining a strategy that is structured in the following pillars:
- Investing: increasing investment in green sectors by 3.5 billion euros by 2020
- Divesting: disposing of equity investments and gradually eliminating bond investments with reference to the current exposure to the coal sector, amounting to approximately 2 billion euros and not making any new investments in businesses associated with the coal sector
- Engaging: promoting dialogue and involvement of issuers, clients and other stakeholders monitoring their plans to reduce the environmental impacts, to the planned measures of protection of the community and citizens, to the strategy to transition to activities with low environmental impact
The carbon footprint analysis for all of the Group’s financial assets together with the calculation of the CO2 emissions associated with every company in our portfolios represent the basis for our strategy.
We took part in the following working groups on green finance:
- Italian National Dialogue on Sustainable Development, sponsored by UNEP and the Italian Ministry of Environment, for the preparation of the paper Financing the future on mitigation and adaptation to climate change through insurance and investment activities.
- Disclosure, Measurement, Management and Mitigation of Climate Change Risk for Companies, a research and dissemination project promoted by the Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, which aims to stimulate a public debate, scientifically founded, on the risks associated with climate change for Italian companies.