- Independent Director
- Non-executive Director
- Chair of the Appointments and Remuneration Committee
- Born in Chiavari (Genoa) on 20 December 1953
Ornella Barra has been a member of the Board of Directors of Generali since 30 April 2013.
After graduating in pharmacy from Genoa University she began her career in the pharmaceutical industry, initially as a pharmacist. In 1984 she founded the Di Pharma pharmaceutical distribution company, subsequently purchased by Alleanza Salute Italia, of which she became managing director and chair.
She has been a board member of Alliance Santé and executive director of Alliance Unichem Plc, also following the merger between the latter and Boots Plc. She has held important positions at Alliance Boots.
Walgreens Boots Alliance, the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise, was created through the combination of Walgreens and Alliance Boots in December 2014.
In September 2015, Fortune magazine published its annual rankings of "The 25 most powerful women in business" for Europe, Middle East and Africa, in which Ornella Barra was featured in fifth position. Every year since 2010 she has been ranked in the top 15 of the list.
RELEVANT POSITIONS FOR OUR POLICY ON THE PLURALITY OF OFFICES
- Co-Chief Operating Officer of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc.
- Non independent member of the board of AmerisourceBergen
- Honorary professor at the University of Nottingham School of Pharmacy
- Deputy Chair of the Italian Pharmaceutical Distributors' Association (ADF)
- Chair of the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Wholesalers (IFPW) based in New York
- Member of the board of Efficient Consumer Response Europe
- She is also one of the founders of the European Pharmacists' Forum (EPF)